Definition of merchandise :
1. The act or business of trading; trade; traffic.
2. The objects of commerce; whatever is usually bought or sold in trade, or market, or by merchants; wares; goods; commodities.
3. To make merchandise of; to buy and sell.
4. To trade; to carry on commerce.
trade, offering, switch, push, trade in, come-on, mathematical product, carry, swap, commodities, deal, bundle, production, sell, retail, line, wares, transactions, loss leader, hawk, acquisition, launch, consumer goods, intersection, product, swop, matter, move, good, auction, peddle
merchandise (part of speech: noun)
- Their merchandise was sometimes carried in wagons as far as the site of Fort du Quesne, which the English rebuilt after its capture, changing its name to Fort Pitt. - "The Conspiracy of Pontiac and the Indian War after the Conquest of Canada", Francis Parkman.
- Merchandise trickled back into the empty town in odd ways. - "The Happy Foreigner", Enid Bagnold.
- It forbade all harbour of brigands, mercenaries, and robbers, on payment of a thousand marks of silver; and it made the Barons who possessed the neighbouring territories responsible for the safety of the roads, and the transport of merchandise. - "Rienzi", Edward Bulwer Lytton.