Definition of mercy:
- A blessing regarded as a manifestation of compassion or favor.
- Compassionate treatment of the unfortunate and helpless; sometimes, favor, beneficence.
- Disposition to exercise compassion or favor; pity; compassion; willingness to spare or to help.
- Forbearance to inflict harm under circumstances of provocation, when one has the power to inflict it; compassionate treatment of an offender or adversary; clemency.
largeheartedness, forbearance, grace, good-heartedness, quarter, altruism, indulgence, gentleness, service, lenience, softheartedness, liberality, vulnerable to, solicitude, hospitality, kindliness, warmheartedness, feeling, tolerance, consideration, lenity, generosity, boon, humanity, mercifulness, turn, kindheartedness, bigheartedness, blessing, clemency, favor, benevolence, warmth, courtesy, controlled by, intolerance, indifference, charity, ruth, charitableness, subject, kindness, support, benignity, benignancy.
- forgiveness (part of speech: noun)
- relief (part of speech: noun)
- pity (part of speech: noun)
- "Berlin and Sans-Souci", Louise Muhlbach.
- "Springhaven A Tale of the Great War", R. D. Blackmore.
- "Benita, An African Romance", H. Rider Haggard.