Definition of meridian:
- A great circle of the sphere passing through the poles of the heavens and the zenith of a given place. It is crossed by the sun at midday.
- A great circle on the surface of the earth, passing through the poles and any given place; also, the half of such a circle included between the poles.
- Being at, or pertaining to, midday; belonging to, or passing through, the highest point attained by the sun in his diurnal course.
- Hence: The highest point, as of success, prosperity, or the like; culmination.
- Midday; noon.
- Pertaining to the highest point or culmination; as, meridian splendor.
point, fastigium, alternative medicine, noontime, apogee, quality, payoff, the date line, boundary, head, select, crescendo, top of the inning, anesthesia, acme, peak, flower, vertex, the Arctic Circle, upper side, choice, the Antarctic Circle, circus tent, summit meeting, spinning top, aftercare, time, capstone, raising, efflorescence, top, teetotum, whirligig, elevation, extremum, prime, crest, culmination, globe, zenith, the equator, coordinate, prize, acupuncture, apex, summit, superlative, lift, blossom, tiptop, visor, chart, the international date line, high noon, acupuncture, high-water mark, atlas, premier, contour, pinnacle, crown, sum, tip-top, longitude, equatorial, ne plus ultra, eyeshade, high tide, cartography, tip, high, natural elevation, top side, superlative degree, longitudinal, latitude, tallness, big top, aggrandisement, aggrandizement, artificial insemination, cover, altitude, bloom, upside, vizor, round top, stature, line of longitude, anaesthesia, bill, aromatherapy, grid, analgesia, climax, artificial feeding, grid reference, heyday, acupressure, height, flush.
In order to secure a chance of retreat, it was desirable as long as possible to keep the Earth between the Astronaut and the Sun; while steering for that point in space where Mars would lie at the moment when, as seen from the centre of the Earth, he would be most nearly opposite the Sun,- would cross the meridian at midnight.- "Across the Zodiac", Percy Greg.
- "Drift from Two Shores", Bret Harte.
- "The-Brick-Moon-and-Other-Stories", Hale, Edward Everett.