Definition of metropolitan:
- A bishop whose see is civil metropolis. His rank is intermediate between that of an archbishop and a patriarch.
- An archbishop.
- Of or pertaining to the capital or principal city of a country; as, metropolitan luxury.
- Of, pertaining to, or designating, a metropolitan or the presiding bishop of a country or province, his office, or his dignity; as, metropolitan authority.
- The superior or presiding bishop of a country or province.
- "Sixty Years of California Song", Margaret Blake-Alverson.
- "The Book of Business Etiquette", Nella Henney.
And with Dick wandering the streets of New York after twilight, and standing once with his coat collar turned up against the rain outside of the Metropolitan Club, where the great painting of his father hung over a mantelpiece.- "The Breaking Point", Mary Roberts Rinehart.