Definition of mettle:
nervus, marrow, gut, heart, essence, meat, warmheartedness, nub, kernel, middle, bosom, gameness, pump, energy, stoutheartedness, spunkiness, doughtiness, touchwood, punk, affection, stamina, inwardness, pluckiness, valiantness, brass, nerve, center, substance, animation, gallantry, heart and soul, dauntlessness, spunk, kindling, philia, undauntedness, fondness, tinder, sum, valiancy, force, affectionateness, centre, gutsiness, pith, face, life, ticker, tenderness, eye, gist, fear, strength, core, warmness, vitality, spirit, nitty-gritty, cheek.
- bravery (part of speech: noun)
- courage (part of speech: noun)
- "The Silver Horde", Rex Beach.
- "Neighbours", Robert Stead.
- "The Crisis, Complete", Winston Churchill Last Updated: March 6, 2009.