Definition of middleman :
1. A person of intermediate rank; a commoner.
2. An agent between two parties; a broker; a go- between; any dealer between the producer and the consumer; in Ireland, one who takes land of the proprietors in large tracts, and then rents it out in small portions to the peasantry.
3. The man who occupies a central position in a file of soldiers.
inter-group communication, conversational partner, touch, striking, interlocutor, contact, intermediator, interceder, impinging, physical contact, intercessor, means, contact lens, tangency, intermediate
agent (part of speech: noun)
instrument, vehicle, ombudsman, liaison, second, emissary, actor, lieutenant, executor, agency, mediator, attorney, factor, alternate, proxy, substitute, surrogate, auxiliary, operative, intermediary, impresario
fastener (part of speech: noun)
seal, cinch, binding, fastening, hitch, band, cotter, medium, pin, strap, bolt, chain, link, twine, thread, clasp, suture, splice, hawser, spike, skewer, belt, bonding, binder, grapnel, lock, tack, stay, glue, braid, guy, brace, cement, rabbet, latch, coupling, buckle, staple, nail, cincture, connector, hinge, ligament, bracket, vise, snap, closure, weld, string, bond, clip, mucilage, catch, clinch, hasp, stitch, lace, cleat, paste, brad, anchor, hook, fuse, zipper, tie, vinculum, rivet, fastener, clamp, knitting, button, knot
merchant (part of speech: noun)
distributor, wholesaler, businessman, caterer, supplier, merchandizer, retailer, floorwalker, seller, jobber, shopkeeper, dealer, merchant, exporter, businessperson, salesclerk, monger, salesperson, saleswoman, storekeeper, salesman, importer, trader, businesswoman, marketer, vendor
consignee (part of speech: noun)
- Does the manufacturer export, or sell, to a middleman, who supplies the merchant? - "On the Economy of Machinery and Manufactures", Charles Babbage.
- But the manufacturer's emancipation from the middleman need not always lead to trade agreements. - "A History of Trade Unionism in the United States", Selig Perlman.
- It is the middleman who makes the money, and there are so many of them, how can there be much left for the one who comes last, and is only the machine that works? - "Prisoners of Poverty Abroad", Helen Campbell.