Definition of militia:
- In the widest sense, the whole military force of a nation, including both those engaged in military service as a business, and those competent and available for such service; specifically, the body of citizens enrolled for military instruction and discipline, but not subject to be called into actual service except in emergencies.
- Military service; warfare.
- "The Ship of Stars", Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- "The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte", Bourrienne, Constant, and Stewarton.
- "Caribbee", Thomas Hoover.