Definition of mince:
- A short, precise step; an affected manner.
- To act or talk with affected nicety; to affect delicacy in manner.
- To affect; to make a parade of.
- To cut into very small pieces; to chop fine; to hash; as, to mince meat.
- To suppress or weaken the force of; to extenuate; to palliate; to tell by degrees, instead of directly and frankly; to clip, as words or expressions; to utter half and keep back half of.
- To walk with short steps; to walk in a prim, affected manner.
dampen, chair, chasten, break, check, relent, cushion, moderate, curb, damp, yield, hold in, tone down, tame, soften, contain, lessen, weaken, decrease, chip, lead, alleviate, temper, hash, control, divide, hold, buffer, mitigate, dice.
- "The Heather-Moon", C. N. Williamson and A. M. Williamson.
But upon this day of which I speak, great was their astonishment at seeing the King quit their presence; and there were some who felt chagrined, and who did not mince their words, never before having seen the King, on the occasion of such a feast, enter his own chamber either to sleep or to seek repose.- "Four Arthurian Romances "Erec et Enide", "Cliges", "Yvain", and "Lancelot"", Chretien DeTroyes.
Only two considerations could hold back a man like you from urging a claim he regarded as a sacred right; the fact of a former marriage or the remembrance of a forfeited citizenship- pardon me, we can not mince matters in a strait like this- which would delegalize whatever contract you may have entered into.- "The Mayor's Wife", Anna Katherine Green.