Definition of modesty:
- Natural delicacy or shame regarding personal charms and the sexual relation; purity of thought and manners; due regard for propriety in speech or action.
- The quality or state of being modest; that lowly temper which accompanies a moderate estimate of one's own worth and importance; absence of self- assertion, arrogance, and presumption; humility respecting one's own merit.
decency, decency, modestness, purity, virtue, diffidence, simplicity, second-stringer, reserve, conceit, virginity, innocence, backlog, purity, unostentatiousness, stockpile, attitude, moderateness, military reserve, delicacy, reticence, lowliness, constraint, vanity, good, self-effacement, chastity, sex, reasonableness, inhibition, chastity, virtue, coldness, seemliness, dignity, innocence, substitute, restraint, big, simpleness, taciturnity, plain, celibacy, backwardness, self-love, courtesy, virtuousness.
- humility (part of speech: noun)
- modesty (part of speech: noun)
- smallness (part of speech: noun)
- mediocrity (part of speech: noun)
- "Rachel Gray", Julia Kavanagh.
- "Primitive Love and Love-Stories", Henry Theophilus Finck.
- "Ulysses S. Grant", Walter Allen.