Definition of monarch:
- A patron deity or presiding genius.
- A sole or supreme ruler; a sovereign; the highest ruler; an emperor, king, queen, prince, or chief.
- A very large red and black butterfly ( Danais Plexippus); - called also milkweed butterfly.
- One superior to all others of the same kind; as, an oak is called the monarch of the forest.
- Superior to others; preeminent; supreme; ruling.
- "Space Viking", Henry Beam Piper.
- "Historic Girls", E. S. Brooks.
The Jesuits, however, by their superior talents, having made themselves useful at court, and obtained the notice and protection of Caung- shee the ruling monarch, and the greatest perhaps that ever filled the throne of China, treated this bull with contempt, and continued to make converts in their own way.- "Travels in China, Containing Descriptions, Observations, and Comparisons, Made and Collected in the Course of a Short Residence at the Imperial Palace of Yuen-Min-Yuen, and on a Subsequent Journey through the Country from Pekin to Canton", John Barrow.