Definition of monarch :
1. A patron deity or presiding genius.
2. A sole or supreme ruler; a sovereign; the highest ruler; an emperor, king, queen, prince, or chief.
3. A very large red and black butterfly ( Danais Plexippus); - called also milkweed butterfly.
4. One superior to all others of the same kind; as, an oak is called the monarch of the forest.
5. Superior to others; preeminent; supreme; ruling.
- The elderly monarch bowed his head slightly; Trask bowed a little more deeply, from the waist. - "Space Viking", Henry Beam Piper.
- She looked the angry monarch full in the face. - "Historic Girls", E. S. Brooks.
- The Jesuits, however, by their superior talents, having made themselves useful at court, and obtained the notice and protection of Caung- shee the ruling monarch, and the greatest perhaps that ever filled the throne of China, treated this bull with contempt, and continued to make converts in their own way. - "Travels in China, Containing Descriptions, Observations, and Comparisons, Made and Collected in the Course of a Short Residence at the Imperial Palace of Yuen-Min-Yuen, and on a Subsequent Journey through the Country from Pekin to Canton", John Barrow.