Definition of monk:
- A blotch or spot of ink on a printed page, caused by the ink not being properly distributed. It is distinguished from a friar, or white spot caused by a deficiency of ink.
- A man who retires from the ordinary temporal concerns of the world, and devotes himself to religion; one of a religious community of men inhabiting a monastery, and bound by vows to a life of chastity, obedience, and poverty.
- A piece of tinder made of agaric, used in firing the powder hose or train of a mine.
- A South American monkey ( Pithecia monachus); also applied to other species, as Cebus xanthocephalus.
- The European bullfinch.
eremite, Thelonious Sphere Monk, solitary, Jesuit, Vincentian, Carthusian, anchorite, recluse, cenobite, Augustinian, religious, Capuchin, Cistercian, Bernardine, Trappist, monastic, Thelonious Monk, Carmelite, Templar, Franciscan, Dominican.
clergy (part of speech: noun)
- celibate (part of speech: noun)