Definition of mouse :
1. A dark- colored swelling caused by a blow.
2. A familiar term of endearment.
3. A knob made on a rope with spun yarn or parceling to prevent a running eye from slipping.
4. A match used in firing guns or blasting.
5. Any one of numerous species of small rodents belonging to the genus Mus and various related genera of the family Muridae. The common house mouse ( Mus musculus) is found in nearly all countries. The American white- footed, or deer, mouse ( Hesperomys leucopus) sometimes lives in houses. See Dormouse, Meadow mouse, under Meadow, and Harvest mouse, under Harvest.
6. Same as 2d Mousing, 2.
7. To furnish with a mouse; to secure by means of a mousing. See Mouse, n., 2.
8. To tear, as a cat devours a mouse.
9. To watch for and catch mice.
10. To watch for or pursue anything in a sly manner; to pry about, on the lookout for something.
base hardware, pilfer, common mackerel, snake, field, black eye, slide, A drive, AGP, black bear, computer mouse, nobble, vermin, lone wolf, homebody, reversal, help, anteater, steal, angora, bridgeware, blow, crawl, cabbage, creep, wood, hermit, bat, swipe, grovel, pussyfoot, cringe, mooch, auxiliary device, pocket, slink, hook, badger, accelerator card, pinch, skulk, animal, pygmy, fawn, recluse, bus, shirk, shrinking violet, health, cower, shiner, accelerated graphics port, lurk, setback, sneak, bighorn sheep, meadow, reverse, ADC, filch, abstract, harvest, snarf, wallflower, introvert, loner, back end, slip, purloin, house, lift, jumping
mammal (part of speech: noun)
fox, hippopotamus, camel, cavy, ibex, donkey, llama, hamster, hare, otter, antelope, wolf, sheep, echidna, rhinoceros, mule, koala, dog, hog, mole, squirrel, raccoon, horse, dingo, burro, hyena, wallaby, panda, coyote, elephant, caribou, opossum, lion, leopard, gazelle, mink, cow, puma, polecat, moose, arctic fox, cat, ox, zebra, jaguar, pig, weasel, lynx, giraffe, gopher, porcupine, stag, camelopard, bobcat, ermine, panther, ocelot, deer, chipmunk, bison, alpaca, goat, cheetah, wombat, sable, yak, kangaroo, rabbit, buffalo, swine, stoat, marmot, shrew, skunk, cougar, ferret, hedgehog, possum, beaver, gnu, bear, tiger, dromedary, sloth, platypus, mongoose, chinchilla, jackal, reindeer, rat, lemming, elk, ass
- The story of the town mouse and country mouse is always old and always new, and always true. - "Horace and His Influence", Grant Showerman.
- Ivan, Ivan, says the little gray mouse, run while you may. - "Old Peter's Russian Tales", Arthur Ransome.
- I was just playing mouse, you know. - "Marjorie's Busy Days", Carolyn Wells.