Definition of mutter:
- Repressed or obscure utterance.
- To sound with a low, rumbling noise.
- To utter with imperfect articulations, or with a low voice; as, to mutter threats.
- To utter words indistinctly or with a low voice and lips partly closed; esp., to utter indistinct complaints or angry expressions; to grumble; to growl.
grouch, gum, pass, buy the farm, prate, decease, gabble, mussitate, pass away, rumble, blab, maunder, grouse, murmur, happy, complain, conk, mussitation, cash in one's chips, cronk, choke, murmuring, clack, murmuration, growl, go, die, pop off, palaver, gnarl, grunt, piffle, drop dead, tattle, croak, grumble, blabber, expire, grumbling, mumble, twaddle, cardiac murmur, kick the bucket, perish, give-up the ghost, sounds, tittle-tattle, rumbling, sputter, muttering, gibber, exit, prattle, murmur vowel, scold, chatter, heart murmur, snuff it.
He asked for water often, and then all at once the boy felt frightened, for the wounded man began to talk and mutter wildly: then he began to shout to his men to come on and charge, and at last poor Dick broke down.- "Our Soldier Boy", George Manville Fenn.
- "Campaigning with Crook and Stories of Army Life", Charles King.
- "The Dew of Their Youth", S. R. Crockett.