Definition of nabob :
1. A deputy or viceroy in India; a governor of a province of the ancient Mogul empire.
2. One who returns to Europe from the East with immense riches: hence, any man of great wealth.
- Even a few gold pieces would be welcome, and it was evidently the treasure chest of some Indian nabob or other, his ill- gotten gains from the wretched natives he had fleeced and cheated." - "Won from the Waves", W.H.G. Kingston.
- 313. Paradis defeats Nabob of Carnatic at St. Thome, ii. - "A History of the Four Georges, Volume I (of 4)", Justin McCarthy.
- Your Committee find that in the year 1775 Mr. Lauchlan Macleane was sent into England as agent to the Nabob of Arcot and to Mr. Hastings. - "The Works of the Right Honourable Edmund Burke, Vol. VIII. (of 12)", Edmund Burke.