Definition of nail :
1. A measure of length, being two inches and a quarter, or the sixteenth of a yard.
2. A slender, pointed piece of metal, usually with a head, used for fastening pieces of wood or other material together, by being driven into or through them.
3. The basal thickened portion of the anterior wings of certain hemiptera.
4. the horny scale of plate of epidermis at the end of the fingers and toes of man and many apes.
5. The terminal horny plate on the beak of ducks, and other allied birds.
6. To fasten with a nail or nails; to close up or secure by means of nails; as, to nail boards to the beams.
7. To fasten, as with a nail; to bind or hold, as to a bargain or to acquiescence in an argument or assertion; hence, to catch; to trap.
8. To spike, as a cannon.
9. To stud or boss with nails, or as with nails.
bar, hear, ace, comprehend, quail at, uplift, boat, discover, perform, clubfoot, fix, whack, annul, learn, secure, screw, fasten, peck, thwack, pin down, swat, bust, din, blast, knock off, thunder, bring in a verdict, knock down, pull in, arch, grok, charge, bop, lift up, turn around, bang, bonk, crotch, stud, collect, shine, distinguish yourself, dig, get the picture, unmask, trap, galvanized, gain vigor, uncloak, bankrupt, call for, smash, turn back, ankle, clap, make out, receive, capture, smack, finalize, net, big toe, whale, slug, expand, hold, staging, savage, bat, seize, citation, narrow down, head, make history, box, get wind, snatch, see, sock, collar, savvy, bludgeon, nut, slog, twelvepenny, smash up, dispatch, cement coated, uncover, swipe, calf, show up, smash a record, thrive, snare, peg, finalise, gather up, tag, crack, breeze through, butterfly nut, blare, cap, award, demolish, hammer, ruin, apprehend, punch, doublehead scaffold, pillory, arm, hold back, tenpenny, attach, appendage, check, discharge, restrain, hobnail twopenny, masonry, sweep through, smite, horseshoe, pound, take, wallop, shell, clout, upstage, finish, knock, break, complete, armpit, pass with flying colors, pinpoint, halt, nab, chair, perk, crush, grasp, determine, finishing, rap, perk up, compass, zap, dry wall, get, flourish, slap, trump, settle, snag, peg down, boom, pick up, get a line, glom, clobber, bob, hob, fill in, stop, biff, crucify, bag, elate, headless, acquittal, land, cut, ball, dowel, eightpenny, flooring, boom out, dash, snitch, percolate, run in, roofing, strike, slam, fourpenny, thump, pinch, cop, shingle, nail down, copper, debunk, nobble, join, spiral siding, bash, excel, fill out, plug, undress, sixpenny, nick, grapple, shoe, narrow, get word, shoot, thieve, sail through, arrest, bang up, decide, corral, acquit, clock, grab, specify, intoxicate, connect, contain, find out
fastener (part of speech: noun)
guy, connector, brace, hook, stay, anchor, bracket, mucilage, fuse, hawser, spike, vinculum, knot, hinge, snap, tie, ligament, belt, paste, go-between, hitch, cinch, mediator, cotter, stitch, fastener, medium, grapnel, cleat, fastening, rivet, staple, thread, suture, clasp, closure, string, band, agent, chain, buckle, weld, seal, pin, catch, braid, link, clamp, twine, hasp, rabbet, binding, latch, clinch, lock, brad, cincture, coupling, lace, bonding, splice, zipper, clip, binder, bolt, skewer, tack, strap, knitting, middleman, bond, vise, button, glue, cement
needle (part of speech: noun)
- Will you remember not to eat it, and not to hang it on a nail? - "Little Prudy's Sister Susy", Sophie May.
- He shall be fastened as a nail in a sure place, as a glorious throne to his father's house. - "When Valmond Came to Pontiac, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 15, 2009.
- And, This nail is too high. - "Dwellers in the Hills", Melville Davisson Post.