Definition of near:
- Adjacent to; close by; not far from; nigh; as, the ship sailed near the land. See the Note under near, a.
- At a little distance, in place, time, manner, or degree; not remote; nigh.
- Close to anything followed or imitated; not free, loose, or rambling; as, a version near to the original.
- Close to one's interests, affection, etc.; touching, or affecting intimately; intimate; dear; as, a near friend.
- Close- fisted; parsimonious.
- Closely connected or related.
- Closely; intimately.
- Immediate; direct; close; short.
- Nearly; almost; well- nigh.
- Next to the driver, when he is on foot; in the Unted States, on the left of an animal or a team; as, the near ox; the near leg. See Off side, under Off, a.
- Not far distant in time, place, or degree; not remote; close at hand; adjacent; neighboring; nigh.
- So as barely to avoid or pass injury or loss; close; narrow; as, a near escape.
- To approach; to come nearer; as, the ship neared the land.
- To draw near; to approach.
earnest, progress, secretive, close-fitting, most, go on, adept, well, intimately, turn up, abutting, come on, boney, around, draw near, serious, good, mount, to the highest degree, penny-pinching, sound, dependable, beside, heartfelt, high-priced, surface, conterminous, affecting, bordering, akin, costly, about, safe, approximately, beloved, honest, full, go about, unspoiled, proficient, dear, move up, close together, come up, unspoilt, just, nearly, estimable, airless, expert, almost, tight-fitting, get on, devout, draw close, closely, beneficial, pricey, border on, rough, more or less, salutary, roughly, respectable, or so, nestle, effective, pricy, come near, friendly, attached, rise, show up, burn down, handy, side by side, skinny, upright, skillful, scraggy, honorable, underweight, secure, shape up, go up, right, faithful, adjoining, set about, practiced, nest, virtually, closelipped, ascend, darling, some, hard, neighboring, related, distant, well-nigh, coterminous, skilful, close to, nigh, tightly fitting, in force, scrawny, come out, undecomposed, approximative, nuzzle, tightlipped, unaired, ripe, cuddle, confining, uprise, get along, lift, next, snuggle, touching, snug, arise, contiguous, removed, cheeseparing, just about, in effect, burn up, come along, tightfitting, approximate, climb, weedy, stuffy, closemouthed, tight, climb up, cheeseparing.
- approach (part of speech: verb)
- near (part of speech: adjective)
- approaching (part of speech: adjective)