Definition of negotiate:
- To carry on negotiations concerning; to procure or arrange for by negotiation; as, to negotiate peace, or an exchange.
- To hold intercourse respecting a treaty, league, or convention; to treat with, respecting peace or commerce; to conduct communications or conferences.
- To intrigue; to scheme.
- To transact business; to carry on trade.
- To transfer for a valuable consideration under rules of commercial law; to sell; to pass.
- To treat with another respecting purchase and sale or some business affair; to bargain or trade; as, to negotiate with a man for the purchase of goods or a farm.
conclude, arrange, conduct, assign, settle, umpire, dicker, do, pull off, set, make peace, higgle, bargain, manage, huckster, surmount, perform, clear, thrive, sell, concert, barter, carry on, fix, treat, transact, accommodate, palter, haggle, carry off, moderate, transmit, agree, allocate, work out, confer, contract, consult, accomplish, adjust, act, negociate, referee, hurdle, bring off, talk terms.
- "The World's Greatest Books, Vol XI.", Edited by Arthur Mee and J.A. Hammerton.
- "NAPOLEON AND BLUCHER", L. Muhlbach.
From the year 1818 to the year 1823, not a session passed without some movement on this point, and some proposition made to request the President to negotiate for the mutual concession of this right of search.- "Memoir of the Life of John Quincy Adams.", Josiah Quincy.