Definition of neptune :
1. The remotest known planet of our system, discovered -- as a result of the computations of Leverrier, of Paris -- by Galle, of Berlin, September 23, 1846. Its mean distance from the sun is about 2, 775, 000, 000 miles, and its period of revolution is about 164, 78 years.
2. The son of Saturn and Ops, the god of the waters, especially of the sea. He is represented as bearing a trident for a scepter.
- On the left, in the middle picture, one sees the retiring forces of labor, proudly watching the great procession of varied ships, moving in a joyous parade, led by Father Neptune and attendants, towards the recently opened gate. - "The Art of the Exposition", Eugen Neuhaus.
- Away we scud, passing ships that think they are going pretty fast, but, O Neptune! - "Lord Dolphin", Harriet A. Cheever.
- Eleanor's architect- or rather Cosimo's, for though the Grand Duchess paid, the Grand Duke controlled- was Ammanati, the designer of the Neptune fountain in the Piazza della Signoria. - "A Wanderer in Florence", E. V. Lucas.