Definition of next:
- Adjoining in a series; immediately preceding or following in order.
- In the time, place, or order nearest or immediately suceeding; as, this man follows next.
- Nearest in degree, quality, rank, right, or relation; as, the next heir was an infant.
- Nearest in place; having no similar object intervening.
- Nearest in time; as, the next day or hour.
contiguous, about, coterminous, adjoining, apart, before, abutting, incoming, touching, around, by and by, beyond, conterminous, future, undermentioned, time, befriend, afterward, succeeding, later, afterwards, after a while, alongside, associate, following, by, join the company of, across, attendant, ahead, meeting, beside, neighboring, coming, precede, ulteriorly, after, subsequently, ensuing, bordering, nigh, near, attached, latterly, later on, along, side by side, adjacent, close, subsequent.
- "The Vultures", Henry Seton Merriman.
- "The Bittermeads Mystery", E. R. Punshon.
- "The Strange Adventures of Eric Blackburn", Harry Collingwood.