Definition of next :
1. Adjoining in a series; immediately preceding or following in order.
2. In the time, place, or order nearest or immediately suceeding; as, this man follows next.
3. Nearest in degree, quality, rank, right, or relation; as, the next heir was an infant.
4. Nearest in place; having no similar object intervening.
5. Nearest in time; as, the next day or hour.
adjacent, near, apart, undermentioned, succeeding, beyond, join the company of, bordering, coterminous, after, precede, alongside, attached, subsequent, associate, latterly, abutting, around, attendant, across, touching, about, neighboring, incoming, meeting, ensuing, by, coming, after a while, later, before, ulteriorly, along, later on, afterwards, afterward, beside, befriend, by and by, time, adjoining, contiguous, close, ahead, conterminous, subsequently, side by side, nigh
different time (part of speech: adjective)
- Though none can say what he heard or saw at that minute, for he was dead the next. - "The Vultures", Henry Seton Merriman.
- Am I to be the next? - "The Bittermeads Mystery", E. R. Punshon.
- But I knew nothing about them until the next morning. - "The Strange Adventures of Eric Blackburn", Harry Collingwood.