Definition of niggle:
- To act or walk mincingly.
- To be finicky or excessively critical; to potter; esp., to work with excessive care for trifling details, as in painting.
- To elaborate excessively, as in art.
- To fret and snarl about trifles.
- To move about restlessly or without result; to fidget.
- To trifle or play.
- To trifle with; to deceive; to mock.
- To use, spend, or do in a petty or trifling manner.
fray, support, chafe, eat into, cavil, rankle, bicker, gall, quibble, mother, squabble, erode, rub, gag, choke, brabble, scratch, fuss, pettifog, carp, fret, grate, nitpick, eat away, overprotect, pick to pieces.
- "Coming of Age: 1939-1946", John Cox.
This was my first personal vision of the " life," on a pedestal and in a pose, that had half gleamed and half gloomed through the chiaroscuro of our old friend Haydon; and I well recall the crash, at the sight, of all my inward emulation- so forced was I to recognise on the spot that I might niggle for months over plaster casts and not come within miles of any such point of attack.- "Notes of a Son and Brother", Henry James.