Definition of nightmare:
- A condition in sleep usually caused by improper eating or by digestive or nervous troubles, and characterized by a sense of extreme uneasiness or discomfort ( as of weight on the chest or stomach, impossibility of motion or speech, etc.), or by frightful or oppressive dreams, from which one wakes after extreme anxiety, in a troubled state of mind; incubus.
- A fiend or incubus formerly supposed to cause trouble in sleep.
- Hence, any overwhelming, oppressive, or stupefying influence.
monstrous, atrocious, terrible, horrendous, horrid, bummer, stress, fantasy, ordeal, appalling, wet dream, dreadful, hideous, worst-case scenario, ghastly, torture, grisly, terrific, trouble, awful, battle, frightful, quagmire, horrific, trial, macabre, nightmarish, horrifying, vision, lurid, hell, gruesome, crisis, tragedy, dream, shocking.
- "The Wreckers of Sable Island", J. Macdonald Oxley.
- "A Little Bush Maid", Mary Grant Bruce.
- "The Circular Staircase", Mary Roberts Rinehart.