Definition of nonpareil:
- A beautifully colored finch ( Passerina ciris), native of the Southern United States. The male has the head and neck deep blue, rump and under parts bright red, back and wings golden green, and the tail bluish purple. Called also painted finch.
- A size of type next smaller than minion and next larger than agate ( or ruby).
- Any other similar bird of the same genus.
- Having no equal; peerless.
- Something of unequaled excellence; a peerless thing or person; a nonesuch; - often used as a name.
paragon, unrivaled, deification, alone, singular, only, perfection, unexampled, incomparable, same, matchless, saint, angel, king, idol, one, one and only, unsurpassable, unrivalled, holy person, unmatchable, exaltation, inimitable, beau ideal, ideal, peerless, holy man, flagship, optimum, unique, unmatched, the Top Ten, nonsuch, apotheosis, queen, uncomparable, unsurpassed, the last word, unequaled, the best, the gold standard, unparalleled, nonesuch.
Her hair was straight and light, and her face had that mingling of vermilion and white, which Americans seem to consider, not only the nonpareil standard of beauty, but the immaculate test of human rights.- "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- "Lady Rose's Daughter", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "News from the Duchy", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.