Definition of notation:
- Any particular system of characters, symbols, or abbreviated expressions used in art or science, to express briefly technical facts, quantities, etc. Esp., the system of figures, letters, and signs used in arithmetic and algebra to express number, quantity, or operations.
- Literal or etymological signification.
- The act or practice of recording anything by marks, figures, or characters.
banknote, note of hand, musical note, promissory note, greenback, note, eminence, short letter, preeminence, mathematics, representation, distinction, memorandum, notational system, annotating, arithmetic, bill, words, annotation, billet, banker's bill, bank bill, notes, system, tone, memo, government note, bank note, line.
indication (part of speech: noun)
- writing (part of speech: noun)
- number (part of speech: noun)
They are as follows: 1 2 3 4, 1 2 4 3, 1 3 2 4, 1 3 4 2, 1 4 3 2, 2 1 4 3, 2 4 1 3. Taking the last example, this notation means that we place a lion in the second square of first row, fourth square of second row, first square of third row, and third square of fourth row.- "Amusements in Mathematics", Henry Ernest Dudeney.
- "Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet", Harold Leland Goodwin.
- "Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie", Andrew Carnegie.