Definition of notify :
1. To give notice to; to inform by notice; to apprise; as, the constable has notified the citizens to meet at the city hall; the bell notifies us of the time of meeting.
2. To make known; to declare; to publish; as, to notify a fact to a person.
publish, telephone, dismiss, blazon, tell, fire, declare, herald, give out, broadcast, force out, proclaim, send word, terminate, give the sack, propose, clue in, report, write, vent, advertise, communicate, wise up, reveal, hip, state, express, acquaint, send away, air, educate, rede, enunciate, can, mention, assert, displace, disseminate, divulge, apprize, promulgate, revalue, disclose, say, cable, propound, knowledge, hint, wire, make known, spread abroad, circulate, radio, apprise, enlighten, sack, announce, convey, teach, give notice, give the axe, fill in, appreciate, leave word
advise (part of speech: verb)
indicate (part of speech: verb)
designate, wink, alert, brand, tag, mark, note, gesticulate, signal, indicate, stamp, denote, motion, flag, beckon, nudge, nod, point out, shrug, symbolize, point, gesture, ticket, betoken, label, wave
- You others stay here while I go and notify the bailiff." - "The Dean's Watch 1897", Erckmann-Chatrian.
- You can notify them." - "The Quality of Mercy", W. D. Howells.
- Not unfrequently one of the laborers will get dissatisfied about something, and in the excitement of the moment will notify me that he intends to leave my employ at the end of a month. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.