Definition of novice:
- Like a novice; becoming a novice.
- One newly received into the church, or one newly converted to the Christian faith.
- One who enters a religious house, whether of monks or nuns, as a probationist.
- One who is new in any business, profession, or calling; one unacquainted or unskilled; one yet in the rudiments; a beginner; a tyro.
novitiate, rookie, enlightened, tiro, savant, fledgling, noviciate, founder, abecedarian, connoisseur, study at amateur, tyro, postulant, critic, religion, start, abecedarian, tenderfoot, learner, learned person, founding father, freshman, pundit.
- amateur (part of speech: noun)
clergy (part of speech: noun)
- "Clotelle The Colored Heroine", William Wells Brown.
- "Cavour", Countess Evelyn Martinengo-Cesaresco.
- "Dwellers in the Hills", Melville Davisson Post.