Definition of nymph :
1. A goddess of the mountains, forests, meadows, or waters.
2. A lovely young girl; a maiden; a damsel.
3. Any one of a subfamily ( Najades) of butterflies including the purples, the fritillaries, the peacock butterfly, etc.; - called also naiad.
4. of Nympha
5. The pupa of an insect; a chrysalis.
bogey, creature, centaur, housewife, houri, missy, female, New Zealand, naiad, chrysalis, bogeyman, Bigfoot, lassie, the fair sex, cocoon, grub, boogeyman, girl, filly, bunyip, hamadryad, womankind, woman, womenfolk, working girl, chimera, young lady, oread, nit, larva, miss, sheila &, the Abominable Snowman, pupa, lass
evil spirit (part of speech: noun)
ghoul, daemon, demon, archfiend, devil, hellcat, freak, ogre, fiend, genie, monster, hell hound, incubus, hellion, Satan, dragon, vampire, lamia, sylph, satyr, hell-raiser, succubus, imp, spirit, dwarf, specter, goblin, beast, werewolf, siren
pagan deity (part of speech: noun)
fairy, Ares, Zeus, banshee, dryad, Demeter, gnome, Pluto, Aphrodite, nix, Gaea, troll, pixie, Jupiter, Eros, Hyperion, Gaia, Jove, Diana, Phoebus, Kronos, Dionysus, deity, Helios, hobgoblin, wood nymph, Cupid, Thor, Poseidon, Vulcan, Athena, Mars, Hear, Rhea, Saturn, mermaid, Venus, Bacchus, Juno, Apollo, Nike, Artemis, Cronus, Persephone, Proserpina, Hephaestus, Ceres, Minerva, elf, sprite, Hermes, brownie, nixie
- The flowers and I were friends again, the grass was my brother, and the shy nymph- like stream, dropping silver vowels into the silence, was my sweetheart. - "October Vagabonds", Richard Le Gallienne.
- 38 O fate severe, to seize the nymph so soon, The nymph, for whom a thousand shepherds sigh, And in the space of one revolving moon To doom the fair one and her swain to die! - "The Poems of Philip Freneau, Volume I (of III)", Philip Freneau.
- She is his nymph, and with a servitor She doth but jest. - "Love Letters of a Violinist and Other Poems", Eric Mackay.