Definition of oblique:
- An oblique line.
- Not direct in descent; not following the line of father and son; collateral.
- Not erect or perpendicular; neither parallel to, nor at right angles from, the base; slanting; inclined.
- Not straightforward; indirect; obscure; hence, disingenuous; underhand; perverse; sinister.
- To deviate from a perpendicular line; to move in an oblique direction.
- To march in a direction oblique to the line of the column or platoon; - formerly accomplished by oblique steps, now by direct steps, the men half- facing either to the right or left.
devious, asymmetrical, indirect, cata-cornered, kitty-corner, crooked, straight, perpendicular, twisted, awry, sideways, crabwise, tortuous, cater-cornered, vague, catercorner, bent, beveled, slanting, anfractuous, circular, strained, obscure, nonparallel, diagonal, catty-cornered, askance, roundabout, circuitous, external oblique muscle, oblique case, shifty, vertical, sloping, turned, biased, catty-corner, kitty-cornered, bias, skew, catacorner.
- "Instructions on Modern American Bridge Building", G. B. N. Tower.
- "In Indian Mexico (1908)", Frederick Starr.
- "The Teaching of Geometry", David Eugene Smith.