Definition of obtain :
1. To become held; to gain or have a firm footing; to be recognized or established; to subsist; to become prevalent or general; to prevail; as, the custom obtains of going to the seashore in summer.
2. To gain or have a firm footing; to become recognized or established; to become or be prevalent or general; as, the custom obtains of going to the seashore in summer.
3. To get hold of by effort; to gain possession of; to procure; to acquire, in any way.
4. To hold; to keep; to possess.
5. To prevail; to succeed.
encounter, moderate, reach, harbor, hold in, nurse, stupefy, amaze, baffle, have, feel, aim, accomplish, chance, beat, restrain, inherit, defend, view as, reign, become, make, recover, save, concord, come, generate, declare, support, persist, dominate, bump, welcome, endure, experience, halt, pay back, retain, get at, run, agree, compass, find oneself, dumbfound, maintain, vex, go, detect, witness, attain, bind, father, determine, bring, go for, regain, get hold, set out, have got, hold up, commence, guard, take in, mother, earn, beget, curb, hold back, invite, produce, let, convey, bewilder, rule, arrive, contain, die hard, buzz off, keep, suffer, stimulate, set about, notice, concur, triumph, pose, mystify, take hold, meet, bugger off, flummox, carry, prevail, throw, observe, puzzle, entertain, defy, sire, oblige, deem, start, confine, glean, lay up, grab, effect, hoard, withstand, make use of, give, drive, engender, hold, come up, come by, adjudge, arrive at, get under one's skin, gravel, ascertain, begin, admit, obligate, cause, bear, control, nab, stick, discover, check, perplex, fix, keep back, line up, reserve, drum up, book, find out, apply, take for, harbour, concern, pick up, realize, grasp, accommodate, start out, get down, invade, induce, bring forth, master, pay off, find, see, contract, draw, sustain, scram, predominate, donate, happen, develop, nonplus, grow
acquire (part of speech: verb)
collect, palm, heap, accumulate, buy, land, annex, garner, claim, incur, procure, fetch, reap, pocket, add, lure, corner, net, acquire, score, retrieve, purchase, wrangle, harvest, assume, amass, bag, receive
capture (part of speech: verb)
borrow (part of speech: verb)
- Say on, and be sure you will obtain what you ask. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- Some obtain their living in hunting after lost slaves. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- One day the priest, ever on the beg, was anxious to obtain some article from me, and I determined to give it only on one condition. - "Through Five Republics on Horseback", G. Whitfield Ray.