Definition of Of:
- Denoting identity or equivalence; - used with a name or appellation, and equivalent to the relation of apposition; as, the continent of America; the city of Rome; the Island of Cuba.
- Denoting nearness or distance, either in space or time; from; as, within a league of the town; within an hour of the appointed time.
- Denoting part of an aggregate or whole; belonging to a number or quantity mentioned; out of; from amongst; as, of this little he had some to spare; some of the mines were unproductive; most of the company.
- Denoting passage from one state to another; from.
- Denoting possession or ownership, or the relation of subject to attribute; as, the apartment of the consul: the power of the king; a man of courage; the gate of heaven.
- Denoting reference to a thing; about; concerning; relating to; as, to boast of one's achievements.
- Denoting relation to place or time; belonging to, or connected with; as, men of Athens; the people of the Middle Ages; in the days of Herod.
- Denoting that by which a person or thing is actuated or impelled; also, the source of a purpose or action; as, they went of their own will; no body can move of itself; he did it of necessity.
- Denoting that from which anything proceeds; indicating origin, source, descent, and the like; as, he is of a race of kings; he is of noble blood.
- Denoting the agent, or person by whom, or thing by which, anything is, or is done; by.
- Denoting the material of which anything is composed, or that which it contains; as, a throne of gold; a sword of steel; a wreath of mist; a cup of water.
- During; in the course of.
- In a general sense, from, or out from; proceeding from; belonging to; relating to; concerning; - used in a variety of applications; as:
characterized by, native to, respecting, among, half-hour, draftsmanship, like, akin to, concerning, nameless, failing, by, consanguineous to, as regards, coming from, based on, previous to, having relation to, referring to, aboard, belonging to, at, legend, forward, in connection with something, assignment, cum, around, away from, format, pertaining to, ere, apropos of, as for, nee, to, attributed to, appertaining to, Junior, proceeding from, after, related to, touching, in relation to, in reference to, out from, regarding, as far as, initial, as concerns, amid, apropos, about, into, commission, composition, in/with regard to, in regard to, afore, aesthetic, flavor, connected with, naming ceremony, homage, consequent to, effect, prior to, barring, concerned, against, out of, cherub, fore, namesake, devoted, from, appropriate to, a.m., ahead of, as to, on, peculiar to, fast, toward, going from, ahead.