Definition of on:
- Adhering; not off; as in the phrase, He is neither on nor off, that is, he is not steady, he is irresolute.
- At or in the time of; during; as, on Sunday we abstain from labor. See At ( synonym).
- At or near; adjacent to; - indicating situation, place, or position; as, on the one hand, on the other hand; the fleet is on the American coast.
- At the peril of, or for the safety of.
- At the time of, conveying some notion of cause or motive; as, on public occasions, the officers appear in full dress or uniform. Hence, in consequence of, or following; as, on the ratification of the treaty, the armies were disbanded.
- At, or in contact with, the surface or upper part of a thing, and supported by it; placed or lying in contact with the surface; as, the book lies on the table, which stands on the floor of a house on an island.
- Attached to the body, as clothing or ornament, or for use.
- By virtue of; with the pledge of; - denoting a pledge or engagement, and put before the thing pledged; as, he affirmed or promised on his word, or on his honor.
- Denoting performance or action by contact with the surface, upper part, or outside of anything; hence, by means of; with; as, to play on a violin or piano. Hence, figuratively, to work on one's feelings; to make an impression on the mind.
- Forward, in progression; onward; - usually with a verb of motion; as, move on; go on.
- Forward, in succession; as, from father to son, from the son to the grandson, and so on.
- In addition to; besides; - indicating multiplication or succession in a series; as, heaps on heaps; mischief on mischief; loss on loss; thought on thought.
- In continuance; without interruption or ceasing; as, sleep on, take your ease; say on; sing on.
- In progress; proceeding; as, a game is on.
- In reference or relation to; as, on our part expect punctuality; a satire on society.
- In the service of; connected with; of the number of; as, he is on a newspaper; on a committee.
- Indicating dependence or reliance; with confidence in; as, to depend on a person for assistance; to rely on; hence, indicating the ground or support of anything; as, he will promise on certain conditions; to bet on a horse.
- Occupied with; in the performance of; as, only three officers are on duty; on a journey.
- The general signification of on is situation, motion, or condition with respect to contact or support beneath
- To or against the surface of; - used to indicate the motion of a thing as coming or falling to the surface of another; as, rain falls on the earth.
- To the account of; - denoting imprecation or invocation, or coming to, falling, or resting upon; as, on us be all the blame; a curse on him.
- Toward; for; - indicating the object of some passion; as, have pity or compassion on him.
debonair, automatically, acting, capacity, broken, working, concerning, biofuel, bespectacled, OD, going, sell-by date, in addition, cordless, screen, connected, upon, beyond, the... the..., energy, dapper, 411, 900 number, whole, opposite, deadline, -clad, 190 number, dark, transfer, drug, all-or-nothing, 1800 number, analog, get on, gas, altogether, by, proceeding, all, dashing, deplane, abstemious, break, active, devoted, built, living, approaching, overall, operational, board, apart, cannibal, happening, Atkins diet, 0800 number, method acting, next to, clothed, biogas, sometime, dosage, corseted, medicated, clockwork, against, attired, contraindication, last, transmit, off, wholesale, in/with regard to, seen against something, catch, the sum total, everything, until, due, than, diet, closing date, underneath, due date, in connection with something, above, change, covering, across, relative, disembarkation, burn, in, touching, concerned, after, on duty, forward, ahead, embark, carnivore, under, televise, crash diet, brown-bag, when, as for, run, go up, coal-fired, fossil fuel, sunset provision, whenever, report, clever, by/in contrast, biomass, cannibalism, injection, auxiliary, detox, at, alive, complete, 999, automatic, the last minute, functional, onward, operating, along, 1471, regarding, moving, all-inclusive, rep, dramatic, whereas, come on, cross-dressing, timing, fuel, next, around, in relation to, this, also, 0, time limit, compared with/to, toward, about, operative, play date, 800 number, 911, relatively, before, here, then, broadcast, dose, clean, live, narcotics, functioning, running, show, clad, beam.