Definition of opponent:
- One who opposes in a disputation, argument, or other verbal controversy; specifically, one who attacks some theirs or proposition, in distinction from the respondent, or defendant, who maintains it.
- One who opposes; an adversary; an antagonist; a foe.
- Situated in front; opposite; hence, opposing; adverse; antagonistic.
hostile, confrontation, opposite, oppositeness, resistance, resist, supporter, entrant, support, antonym, corrival, foeman, opposite word, player, obstructer, competition, obstructionist, resister, litigant, contrary, claimant, inverse, oppositionist, reverse, conflict, antagonist, opposer, thwarter, partner, adversary, equal, obstructor, contender, associate, defender, opposing.
- combatant (part of speech: noun)
- opponent (part of speech: noun)
- enemy (part of speech: noun)
- "Stonewall Jackson And The American Civil War", G. F. R. Henderson.
- "Louis Agassiz: His Life and Correspondence", Louis Agassiz.
- "Lady Rose's Daughter", Mrs. Humphry Ward.