Definition of opponent :
1. One who opposes in a disputation, argument, or other verbal controversy; specifically, one who attacks some theirs or proposition, in distinction from the respondent, or defendant, who maintains it.
2. One who opposes; an adversary; an antagonist; a foe.
3. Situated in front; opposite; hence, opposing; adverse; antagonistic.
foeman, oppositeness, opposite word, contender, inverse, confrontation, hostile, corrival, defender, resister, equal, competition, obstructor, opposing, obstructer, resistance, partner, claimant, litigant, obstructionist, supporter, antonym, entrant, associate, resist, conflict, support, contrary, oppositionist, player, reverse, thwarter
combatant (part of speech: noun)
brawler, foe, fighter, jouster, duelist, rival, competitor, man-at-arms, gladiator, pugilist, struggler, combatant, tough, rioter, adversary, militant, bruiser, warrior, quarreler, bully, battler, antagonist, soldier, swordsman, mercenary, thug, contestant, assailant, enemy
opponent (part of speech: noun)
enemy (part of speech: noun)
- His opponent felt that he was dangerously exposed. - "Stonewall Jackson And The American Civil War", G. F. R. Henderson.
- Difference of opinion, however, never disturbed the cordial relation which existed between Von Buch and his young opponent. - "Louis Agassiz: His Life and Correspondence", Louis Agassiz.
- Warkworth fought well, but with a growing amazement at the tone and manner of his opponent. - "Lady Rose's Daughter", Mrs. Humphry Ward.