Definition of opposite :
1. Applied to the other of two things which are entirely different; other; as, the opposite sex; the opposite extreme.
2. Extremely different; inconsistent; contrary; repugnant; antagonistic.
3. One who opposes; an opponent; an antagonist.
4. Placed directly in front of another part or organ, as a stamen which stands before a petal.
5. Placed over against; standing or situated over against or in front; facing; - often with to; as, a house opposite to the Exchange.
6. Set over against each other, but separated by the whole diameter of the stem, as two leaves at the same node.
7. That which is opposed or contrary; as, sweetness and its opposite.
frigid, face-to-face, gelid, black eye, antipodal, conflicting, arctic, turnaround, reversal, antipodean, facing, contradictory, foeman, turnabout, pivotal, synonymous, irreconcilable, inimical, diametrical, matched, confronting, hostile, resistance, incompatible, setback, contrasting, opposed, opposite word, antonymous, other, resister, confrontation, mated, opposing, same, support, adverse, antonymic, glacial, diametral, oppositeness, icy, blow, side by side, retrograde, paired, verso, reverse gear, reversion, counter
dissimilar (part of speech: adjective)
diametric (part of speech: adjective)
enemy (part of speech: noun)
opponent (part of speech: noun)
opposite (part of speech: noun)
- The Duke turned from the window, glanced at the wall opposite, then, as if something had caught his eye, went quickly to it. - "Arsene Lupin", Edgar Jepson Maurice Leblanc.
- If she is relieved by your act, rest will follow; if not, the opposite. - "Dawn", Mrs. Harriet A. Adams.
- Side right opposite Caroline's house. - "Ronicky Doone", Max Brand.