Definition of ottoman :
1. A low stool to support the feet of one when sitting.
2. A stuffed seat without a back, originally used in Turkey.
3. A Turk.
4. Of or pertaining to the Turks; as, the power or empire.
chair (part of speech: noun)
furniture, rumble seat, straight chair, sedan chair, swivel chair, dining chair, campstool, recliner, stool, armchair, swing, lawn chair, rocker, hassock, bench, saddle, chair, sofa, pew, deck chair, lounge chair, throne, bucket seat, bar stool, seat
couch (part of speech: noun)
- He promised the Jews the certain conquest of the Ottoman Empire; and even carried his insolence so far as to have the emperor's name struck out of the Jewish liturgy, and his own substituted. - "A Philosophical Dictionary, Volume 7 (of 10) From "The Works of Voltaire - A Contemporary Version"", François-Marie Arouet (AKA Voltaire) Commentator: John Morley Tobias Smollett H.G. Leigh.
- Newton was in the very middle of a long story, Madame de Fontanges on the ottoman, and her attendants collected round her, seated on the floor- even Cupidon had advanced from his corner to within half- distance, his mouth and eyes wide open, when M. de Fontanges entered the boudoir, with anxiety and chagrin expressed in his countenance. - "Newton Forster", Frederick Marryat.
- For six months they had resisted the full might of the Ottoman Empire under its greatest Sultan, Solyman the Magnificent; Europe had looked on in amazed admiration, but had not ventured to move to its rescue. - "Knights of Malta, 1523-1798", R. Cohen.