Definition of outward :
1. Alt. of Outwards
2. External form; exterior.
3. Foreign; not civil or intestine; as, an outward war.
4. Forming the superficial part; external; exterior; - opposed to inward; as, an outward garment or layer.
5. Of or pertaining to the outer surface or to what is external; manifest; public.
6. Tending to the exterior or outside.
outward (part of speech: adjective)
- Had she grown outward instead, perhaps... - "Anthony Lyveden", Dornford Yates.
- Whether the sailors knew who they were I cannot tell; it is probable that they did not, but judged by the " outward appearance." - "Six Months at the Cape", R.M. Ballantyne.
- In a few minutes he was on board the " outward- bound" ship. - "The Life of a Ship", R.M. Ballantyne.