Definition of overrule:
- To be superior or supreme in rulling or controlling; as, God rules and overrules.
- To rule or determine in a contrary way; to decide against; to abrogate or alter; as, God overrules the purposes of men; the chairman overruled the point of order.
- To rule over; to govern or determine by superior authority.
- To supersede, reject, annul, or rule against; as, the plea, or the decision, was overruled by the court.
revoke, turn back, knock over, control, repeal, tip over, bring down, upset, invert, manage, annul, subvert, change by reversal, countermand, direct, overturn, revolutionise, govern, turn, override, revolutionize, overthrow, tump over, bowl over, rescind, lift, reverse, cancel, vacate, turn over, invalidate.
He constantly allowed his sentiments to overrule his judgment of what was good for his country, and the result of that line of action was that at the beginning of hostilities there were more Boer guns in Europe and on the ocean than there were in the Transvaal.- "With the Boer Forces", Howard C. Hillegas.
- "Caribbee", Thomas Hoover.
- "Face to Face with Kaiserism", James W. Gerard.