Definition of overtake :
1. Hence, figuratively, in the past participle ( overtaken), drunken.
2. To come up with in a course, pursuit, progress, or motion; to catch up with.
3. To come upon from behind; to discover; to surprise; to capture; to overcome.
fall, clutch, sweep over, captivate, travel by, secure, overhear, have the best, master, grip, seek, decease, pass along, trance, conk, view, evanesce, guide, modernise, perish, expire, communicate, approach, reach, drop dead, run, eliminate, clasp, charm, put across, go on, overmaster, glide by, get to, pass off, pick up, ensnare, go by, fleet, occur, authorize, go along, pass on, pass by, entrap, hap, go past, blow over, modernize, exit, take place, comprehend, lead, discover, enamor, pass, capture, lay hold of, gripe, seize, arrest, excrete, enchant, slide by, clear, fade, go across, get the better of, apprehend, happen, take, spend, surmount, bewitch, cash in one's chips, exceed, enamour, submerge, subdue, turn over, return, die, top, pop off, croak, catch up, get, give, watch, egest, pass away, whelm, extend, get the best, devolve, snuff it, beguile, catch up with, make pass, come about, becharm, lapse, kick the bucket, trip up, grasp, fascinate, entrance, deluge, drown, fall out, buy the farm, hitch, go, elapse, hand, win, take hold of, take in, authorise, slip away, sink, grab, snatch, legislate, see, overcome, make it, overpower, get over, overhaul, slip by, flood out, give-up the ghost, go through, upon), draw, catch, choke, make up, defeat
overrun (part of speech: verb)
- We overtook the wind that was before us, and the wind that was behind us did not overtake us till we came to the sea. - "Fairies and Folk of Ireland", William Henry Frost.
- Must I stay, to prevent the misery that threatens to overtake others?" - "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- To the north- west, at a great distance, we saw a long line of dust, and knowing it to be raised by the party, after having taken bearings and tried the point of boiling water, we descended to overtake it. - "Expedition into Central Australia", Charles Sturt.