Definition of painful :
1. causing physical discomfort; " bites of black flies are more than irritating; they can be very painful"
2. Full of pain; causing uneasiness or distress, either physical or mental; afflictive; disquieting; distressing.
3. Painstaking; careful; industrious.
4. Requiring labor or toil; difficult; executed with laborious effort; as a painful service; a painful march.
plaguy, unpalatable, upsetting, afflicting, embarrassing, dire, monstrous, dread, bad, chapped, ignominious, burning, distasteful, embarrassed, teasing, humiliating, nettlesome, indefinable, huffy, torturesome, comfortable, awful, saddle-sore, nasty, horrible, ugly, caustic, traumatic, shameful, afflictive, chronic, sensitive, like, sharp, galling, dismal, racking, unutterable, dreaded, awing, unnameable, harsh, terrible, vexing, awesome, sad, chafed, extreme, achy, horrifying, indescribable, wicked, agonised, irritated, guilty, amazing, fearsome, inflamed, tragic, pesky, frightening, irritable, burned, untellable, plaguey, frightful, angry, worrying, healthy, unhappy, torturous, awed, vexatious, raw, agonized, distressing, mad, irritative, awe-inspiring, heartbreaking, undignified, execrable, detestable, indigestible, dreadful, pestering, abominable, pain, galled, crippling, horrific, tremendous, heartrending, flagitious, pestiferous, direful, atrocious, disturbing, awkward, fearful, poignant, nagging, unfortunate, agonising, unspeakable, tender, depressing, ineffable, hurting
painful (part of speech: adjective)
disagreeable, uncomfortable, anguishing, horrendous, acute, besetting, bothersome, hurtful, wrenching, smarting, gnawing, miserable, insufferable, offensive, odious, cramping, bitter, excruciating, aggravating, tormenting, torturing, troublesome, withering, biting, severe, cruel, annoying, aching, woeful, piercing, grievous, irksome, unbearable, trying, sore, oppressive, harrowing, arduous, irritating, throbbing, stabbing, crushing, burdensome, agonizing, chafing, stinging, unpleasant, cutting, distressful, grueling, inflaming
- The scene which followed was very painful." - "Paul Patoff", F. Marion Crawford.
- " Mother dear, don't give us something so painful to remember. - "Jewel A Chapter In Her Life", Clara Louise Burnham.
- You admit that your feelings would have been painful. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.