Definition of paint :
1. A cosmetic; rouge.
2. A pigment or coloring substance.
3. Fig.: To color, stain, or tinge; to adorn or beautify with colors; to diversify with colors.
4. Fig.: To represent or exhibit to the mind; to describe vividly; to delineate; to image; to depict.
5. The same prepared with a vehicle, as oil, water with gum, or the like, for application to a surface.
6. To color one's face by way of beautifying it.
7. To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to; as, to paint a house, a signboard, etc.
8. To form in colors a figure or likeness of on a flat surface, as upon canvas; to represent by means of colors or hues; to exhibit in a tinted image; to portray with paints; as, to paint a portrait or a landscape.
9. To practice the art of painting; as, the artist paints well.
color (part of speech: noun)
draw (part of speech: verb)
covering (part of speech: noun)
- She wouldn't have asked him to paint the picture if she hadn't wanted to see him often alone, and make him fall in love with her. - "The Heather-Moon", C. N. Williamson and A. M. Williamson.
- The hands said, We are too weak to paint or to write. - "Fifty Fabulous Fables", Lida Brown McMurry.
- Through passengers might be distinguished by a complete coat of paint. - "Literary Lapses", Stephen Leacock.