Definition of painting:
- A depicting by words; vivid representation in words.
- Color laid on; paint.
- of Paint
- The act or employment of laying on, or adorning with, paints or colors.
- The work of the painter; also, any work of art in which objects are represented in color on a flat surface; a colored representation of any object or scene; a picture.
motion-picture show, pic, photo, word picture, mental picture, flick, picture show, ikon, icon, likeness, movie, motion picture, exposure, word-painting, mural, portrayal, moving picture, video, characterisation, moving-picture show, characterization, picture, house painting, art, canvas, photograph, composition, image, coating, representation, film, impression, pictorial matter, covering, delineation.
- coloring (part of speech: verb)
- drawing (part of speech: verb)
- "Biographical Essays", Thomas de Quincey.
- "The Practice and Science Of Drawing", Harold Speed.
- "The Cardinal's Snuff-Box", Henry Harland.