Definition of pan:
- A closed vessel for boiling or evaporating. See Vacuum pan, under Vacuum.
- A leaf of gold or silver.
- A natural basin, containing salt or fresh water, or mud.
- A part; a portion.
- A recess, or bed, for the leaf of a hinge.
- A shallow, open dish or vessel, usually of metal, employed for many domestic uses, as for setting milk for cream, for frying or baking food, etc.; also employed for various uses in manufacturing.
- The betel leaf; also, the masticatory made of the betel leaf, etc. See etel.
- The distance comprised between the angle of the epaule and the flanked angle.
- The god of shepherds, guardian of bees, and patron of fishing and hunting. He is usually represented as having the head and trunk of a man, with the legs, horns, and tail of a goat, and as playing on the shepherd's pipe, which he is said to have invented.
- The hard stratum of earth that lies below the soil. See Hard pan, under Hard.
- The part of a flintlock which holds the priming.
- The skull, considered as a vessel containing the brain; the upper part of the head; the brainpan; the cranium.
- To join or fit together; to unite.
- To separate, as gold, from dirt or sand, by washing in a kind of pan.
- To turn out ( profitably or unprofitably); to result; to develop; as, the investigation, or the speculation, panned out poorly.
- To yield gold in, or as in, the process of panning; - usually with out; as, the gravel panned out richly.
kisser, dub over, goldmine, deep fryer, cartload, cooking pan, trash, paper towel, gallery, countenance, criticize, cauldron, censure, direction, praise, cut, chopping board, savage, genus pan, castigate, cutting room, bucketful, direct, roller towel, cutting board, can opener, attack, flush, basket, toilet roll, pan out, harangue, dub, visage, breadboard, blame, junk, tear apart, churn, ball cock, toilet paper, dub out, condemnation, cheeseboard, corkscrew, caldron, rap, colliery, coalfield, billy, cake tin, pan off, box, mug, cut up, knock, cutaway, damn, two-ply/three-ply etc., reprehension, armful, reprobation, coal mining, scrap, criticism, tell off, boatload, fault, take/bring/hold someone to task, goat god, boxful, map, gold rush, denunciation, conflict diamonds, animation, chopping block, housewares, precede, coffeepot, bottle opener, muzzle, coal, bag, puss, dub in, face, dessertspoon, kitchen, coal miner, coal mine, feature, the goat god, tear someone/something to pieces/shreds.
- musical instruments (part of speech: noun)
- pot (part of speech: noun)
- pan (part of speech: noun)
- "The Tribes and Castes of the Central Provinces of India Volume II", R. V. Russell.
- "The Rhesus of Euripedes", Euripedes.
- "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.