Definition of pant:
- A quick breathing; a catching of the breath; a gasp.
- A violent palpitation of the heart.
- Hence: To long eagerly; to desire earnestly.
- To beat with unnatural violence or rapidity; to palpitate, or throb; - said of the heart.
- To breathe forth quickly or in a labored manner; to gasp out.
- To breathe quickly or in a labored manner, as after exertion or from eagerness or excitement; to respire with heaving of the breast; to gasp.
- To long for; to be eager after.
- To sigh; to flutter; to languish.
whiff, trouser, chuff, chorus, phrase, heave, hyperventilate, chirp, warp, mouth, pine, blow, heft, declaim, billow, puff out, inhale, buckle, palpitate, frame, huff, breath, desire, gasp, draw, hanker, put, fight for breath, gulp, retch, wheeze, breathe, want, long, blow up, covet, gasp out, hone, catch your breath, puff, yearn, drag, choke, puff up, surge, gag, heave up, wish, ache, words, sigh, heft up, declare, throb.
- "The Nether World", George Gissing.
- "The Poetical Works of Edward Young, Volume 2", Edward Young.
- "Emily Brontë", A. Mary F. (Agnes Mary Frances) Robinson.