Definition of paper :
1. A medicinal preparation spread upon paper, intended for external application; as, cantharides paper.
2. A paper containing ( usually) a definite quantity; as, a paper of pins, tacks, opium, etc.
3. A printed or written instrument; a document, essay, or the like; a writing; as, a paper read before a scientific society.
4. A printed sheet appearing periodically; a newspaper; a journal; as, a daily paper.
5. A sheet, leaf, or piece of such substance.
6. A substance in the form of thin sheets or leaves intended to be written or printed on, or to be used in wrapping. It is made of rags, straw, bark, wood, or other fibrous material, which is first reduced to pulp, then molded, pressed, and dried.
7. Cloth or covered with powdered carborundum.
8. Decorated hangings or coverings for walls, made of paper. See hangings, below.
9. Negotiable evidences of indebtedness; notes; bills of exchange, and the like; as, the bank holds a large amount of his paper.
10. Of or pertaining to paper; made of paper; resembling paper; existing only on paper; unsubstantial; as, a paper box; a paper army.
11. To cover with paper; to furnish with paper hangings; as, to paper a room or a house.
12. To fold or inclose in paper.
13. To put on paper; to make a memorandum of.
writing, cheat sheet, authorship, futile, paperwork, in black and white, root word, musical composition, paintbrush, graduation, credit, report card, constitution, enclosed, elastic, story, critique, piece of music, ice, back number, dissertation, broadsheet, card, crib note, examiner, mock, titular, composition, page, purposeless, back issue, makeup, faulty, essay, material, text, alabaster, placement, pointless, newspaper publisher, textual, circular, words, inefficient, earthen, report, master class, exam, back copy, papers, board over, discussion, sandpaper, make-up, meditation, worthless, paint, treatise, ineffective, radical, motif, bone, printed matter, biweekly, topic, plate, documentation, crib, composing, assignment, comic, root, typography, unanswered, melodic theme, glass, piece, theme, clinic, physical composition, coursework, module, musical theme, wax, correspondence, ream, valid, written, subject, candidate, written report, concrete, masking tape, newsy, returnable, defective, compact, penning, grout, pack, carpet, useless, borderline, opus, base, drop cloth, pasteboard, wallpaper, formal, coat, reputation, pathetic, write up, gloss, news report, stem, kraft, monograph, packet, creosote, idea, glazed, brochure, distemper, examination, study, newspaper, varnish, gloss paint, on paper, tile, thesis, acrylic, certificate, account, rewrite, cement, gift wrap, horny, bulletin, ephemera, publisher, comic book
hang (part of speech: verb)
unsubstantial (part of speech: adjective)
paper (part of speech: noun)
note paper, wrapping paper, roofing paper, papier-mache, vellum, crepe, blotting paper, parchment, foolscap, bond, rice paper, cardboard, manila, carbon paper, tissue, wall paper, wax paper, cellophane, tarpaper, onionskin, newsprint
- Q. Is that a morning paper? - "The Attempted Assassination of ex-President Theodore Roosevelt", Oliver Remey Henry Cochems Wheeler Bloodgood.
- What would he do without the morning paper? - "A Canadian Bankclerk", J. P. Buschlen.
- I only just glanced over the paper." - "Their Son; The Necklace", Eduardo Zamacois.