Definition of parasite:
- A plant living on or within an animal, and supported at its expense, as many species of fungi of the genus Torrubia.
- A plant obtaining nourishment immediately from other plants to which it attaches itself, and whose juices it absorbs; - sometimes, but erroneously, called epiphyte.
- An animal which habitually uses the nest of another, as the cowbird and the European cuckoo.
- An animal which lives during the whole or part of its existence on or in the body of some other animal, feeding upon its food, blood, or tissues, as lice, tapeworms, etc.
- An animal which steals the food of another, as the parasitic jager.
- One who frequents the tables of the rich, or who lives at another's expense, and earns his welcome by flattery; a hanger- on; a toady; a sycophant.
arachnid, sponger, quick study, hanger-on, sponge, bear, parazoan, bacteria, bum, deadbeat, fungus, layabout, arachnid, sycophant, arthropod, beast, moocher, hirudinean, adult, freeloader, goldbrick, amphibian, couch potato, slowpoke, beast of burden, dependence, lump, passenger, slave, leech, big game, slob, dependent, biped, free rider, poriferan, animal, bloodsucker.
- "One Woman's Life", Robert Herrick.
- "The Romance of Natural History, Second Series", Philip Henry Gosse.
- "The Boss of Little Arcady", Harry Leon Wilson.