Definition of parsimonious:
pinched, close, covetous, avaricious, greedy, spare, niggardly, careful, mingy, penniless, ungenerous, rapacious, penurious, stinting, economic, hard up, pinching, stingy, niggard, economies, sordid, give, uncharitable, costive, impecunious, close-fisted, pinchpenny, chintzy, tightfisted, thrift.
- ascetic (part of speech: adjective)
- stingy (part of speech: adjective)
- economical (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Young Musician or, Fighting His Way", Horatio Alger.
The parsimonious salesman who takes it for granted that every one's motives are the same as his own, and, therefore, talks to every prospect about the money- saving possibilities of his commodity, will most certainly fail in trying to persuade those to purchase who care nothing about saving a few cents, but do care a great deal about the quality, style, and beauty of the commodity.- "Analyzing Character", Katherine M. H. Blackford and Arthur Newcomb.
- "Anecdotes of Painters, Engravers, Sculptors and Architects, and Curiosities of Art, (Vol. 2 of 3)", Shearjashub Spooner.