Definition of passive:
- Designating certain morbid conditions, as hemorrhage or dropsy, characterized by relaxation of the vessels and tissues, with deficient vitality and lack of reaction in the affected tissues.
- Inactive; inert; not showing strong affinity; as, red phosphorus is comparatively passive.
- Not active, but acted upon; suffering or receiving impressions or influences; as, they were passive spectators, not actors in the scene.
- Receiving or enduring without either active sympathy or active resistance; without emotion or excitement; patient; not opposing; unresisting; as, passive obedience; passive submission.
enduring, resist, affected, patient, latent, peaceful, nonoperational, quiet, resistless, peaceable, resigned, nonviolent, supine, inactive, receptive, nonresistant, resigned, passive voice, influenced, forbearing, unresisting.
- indifferent (part of speech: adjective)
insensitive (part of speech: adjective)
- passive (part of speech: adjective)
- inert (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Duke's Children", Anthony Trollope.
- "The Wheel O' Fortune", Louis Tracy.
- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.