Definition of passport:
- A document carried by neutral merchant vessels in time of war, to certify their nationality and protect them from belligerents; a sea letter.
- A license granted in time of war for the removal of persons and effects from a hostile country; a safe- conduct.
- Figuratively: Anything which secures advancement and general acceptance.
- Permission to pass; a document given by the competent officer of a state, permitting the person therein named to pass or travel from place to place, without molestation, by land or by water.
head, liberty chit, straits, doorway, essence, identification, toss, papers, passing play, admittance, passing, fling, exit visa, crack, open sesame, access, ticket, authorization, priority, secret, passing game, travel permit, accession, go, concern, notch, laissez passer, transit visa, permit, flip, laser visa, entry, testimonial, ingress, core, warrant, burning issue/question, bye, door, entrée, staple, license, safe-conduct, walk, recommendation, base on balls, basis, element, travel document, credentials, mountain pass, key, whirl, strait, passport control, admission, pass, good word, visa, qualifying, offer, feature, gateway.
- "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- "Bird of Paradise", Ada Leverson.
- "The Red Cockade", Stanley J. Weyman.