Definition of pathos:
- Suffering; the enduring of active stress or affliction.
- That quality or property of anything which touches the feelings or excites emotions and passions, esp., that which awakens tender emotions, such as pity, sorrow, and the like; contagious warmth of feeling, action, or expression; pathetic quality; as, the pathos of a picture, of a poem, or of a cry.
- "The Tragic Comedians, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- "That Little Girl of Miss Eliza?s", Jean K. Baird.
- "Humanly Speaking", Samuel McChord Crothers.