Definition of patriarchal:
- Characteristic of a patriarch; venerable.
- Having an organization of society and government in which the head of the family exercises authority over all its generations.
- Of or pertaining to a patriarch or to patriarchs; possessed by, or subject to, patriarchs; as, patriarchal authority or jurisdiction; a patriarchal see; a patriarchal church.
time-honored, old, gray, established, immemorial, patricentric, decrepit, patriarchic, clanswoman, elder, clansman, flat, time-worn, structured, venerable, black sheep, antique, antiquated, olden, the elder, central, remote, dependent, structural, blood, tiered, governing, informal, regulatory, hoary, blood relation, self-regulatory, eldest, charge, ancient, elderly, senile, aged.
These were delightful words for me to listen to, but I could not hear them without feeling for him, who evidently was pained by Clara's avowed preference for me; and whose years- for I thought thirty- five at that time a little verging upon the patriarchal- entitled him to more respect.- "The Confessions of Harry Lorrequer, Complete", Charles James Lever (1806-1872).
- "Introduction to the Old Testament", John Edgar McFadyen.
- "Irish Race in the Past and the Present", Aug. J. Thebaud.