Definition of payment :
1. Punishment; chastisement.
2. That which is paid; the thing given in discharge of a debt, or an obligation, or in fulfillment of a promise; reward; recompense; requital; return.
3. The act of paying, or giving compensation; the discharge of a debt or an obligation.
defrayment, recompense, pay envelope, subsidy, paying, down, packet, contribution, redress, reparation, premium, sum, advance, lesson, cash, down payment, hire, giving, remitment, retaliation, return, requital, remittance, leniency, indemnification, mortgage, a slap on the wrist, adjustment, amount, paycheck, pay-off, debt, restitution, payback, emolument, pay, defrayal, earnings
expenditure (part of speech: noun)
punishment (part of speech: noun)
burden, castigation, persecution, crucifixion, correction, distress, agony, fine, forfeiture, reprisal, verdict, imprisonment, confinement, punishment, incarceration, discipline, sentence, chastisement, judgment, price, retribution, revenge, torture, penalty, affliction, execution, anguish
reward (part of speech: noun)
atonement, consideration, compensation, lure, award, allowance, gratuity, wages, plum, incentive, remuneration, tribute, carrot, honorarium, bonus, enticement, sweetener, inducement, sweepstakes, bounty, stimulation, allotment, prize, stipend, tip, wage, treat, amends, reward, temptation, gift, grant
payment (part of speech: noun)
- He showed me every particular sort of payment away of money, since the King's coming in, to this day; and told me, from one to one, how little he hath received of profit from most of them; and I believe him truly. - "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- The Commandant will give an order for the payment. - "A Dash from Diamond City", George Manville Fenn.
- Then I'll make another equal payment the day we start the mill. - "Vane of the Timberlands", Harold Bindloss.