Definition of pencil :
1. A number of lines that intersect in one point, the point of intersection being called the pencil point.
2. A slender cylinder or strip of black lead, colored chalk, slate etc., or such a cylinder or strip inserted in a small wooden rod intended to be pointed, or in a case, which forms a handle, - used for drawing or writing. See Graphite.
3. A small medicated bougie.
4. A small, fine brush of hair or bristles used by painters for laying on colors.
5. An aggregate or collection of rays of light, especially when diverging from, or converging to, a point.
6. Hence, figuratively, an artist's ability or peculiar manner; also, in general, the act or occupation of the artist, descriptive writer, etc.
7. To write or mark with a pencil; to paint or to draw.
- Lionel took up the pencil again, and turned to the block of paper. - "Prince Fortunatus", William Black.
- Mr. Wade was sitting back in his chair thoughtfully amusing himself with his gold pencil- case. - "Roden's Corner", Henry Seton Merriman.
- Harry got out a pencil and paper then, and made a careful note of every name that Dick mentioned. - "The Boy Scout Aviators", George Durston.