Definition of pencil:
- A number of lines that intersect in one point, the point of intersection being called the pencil point.
- A slender cylinder or strip of black lead, colored chalk, slate etc., or such a cylinder or strip inserted in a small wooden rod intended to be pointed, or in a case, which forms a handle, - used for drawing or writing. See Graphite.
- A small medicated bougie.
- A small, fine brush of hair or bristles used by painters for laying on colors.
- An aggregate or collection of rays of light, especially when diverging from, or converging to, a point.
- Hence, figuratively, an artist's ability or peculiar manner; also, in general, the act or occupation of the artist, descriptive writer, etc.
- To write or mark with a pencil; to paint or to draw.